Missing HAL.dll – This works 9 out of 10 times
Great stuff for any one getting bugged by the hal.dll error message on bootup. Works great. Actually contributed by my collegue Sachin Sil.
That’s him … As i alwats say “Looks could be deceptive … LOL” … ( I know he is gonna go mad after reading this )
Use Bootcfg Utility to Repair Boot.ini File
If you are able to log on to the Recovery Console, perform the following steps to repair the boot.ini file:
- Boot your Windows XP PC from the Windows XP installation disk.
- On the Welcome to Windows screen, press R.
- Select the Windows installation you want to repair and provide the administrator username and password.
- On the Recovery Console command prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild and then press Enter.
- The command will load the Windows installation and prompt the following messages:
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
Enter Load Identifier:
Type Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition.
Enter OS Load options:
Leave blank and press Enter.
- Restart your PC and select the first boot menu item.
Windows XP should start normally now.